- 1.5 cups Tur dal
- 2 large tomatoes
- Vegetables for sambar( You can put any vegetable you like potatoes,onions, green pepper/shimla mirchi,beans,carrots, radish,okra/bhindi)
- Sambar powder(I use MTR)-3 spoon fuls
- Chilli powder -1/2 tsp
- 2 spoons thick tamarind extract/concentrate
- Curry leaves( 2 strands)
- Methi seeds
- 2 tea spoon oil
- Soak the tur dal in water till we prepare the rest if the sambar.This makes it easier to cook.
- Cut the vegetables into big blocks of one inch. If it is radish/mooli cut it circular. Radish in sambar tastes wonderful so I always have radish.But you can add any of the above veggies.Cut approx 3 cups of veggies.
- In a pressure cooker add chopped tomatoes.You can chop them in larger chunks.
- Strain and add the Tur dal.Add the tamarind extract
- Add the cut veggies and add 3 cups water.
- Put the sambar powder,red chilli and salt to taste.
- Prepare the seasoning in a small kadai/vessel.Heat 2 spoons oil in a small kadai. Add the methi seeds and rye .Once the rye starts popping. Remove from flame and add the seasoning to the mixture in the cooker.
- Add curry leaves if available.
- Pressure cook till 3 whistles.
- Remove and serve hot with dosas or rice.