This is a recipe from my Lax aunty whose 25 years in States forced her to find ways to make and relish Indian savouries.
Well this Peda tastes awesome and being here in the States it was about a year I had not had this sweet. The result was within 5 minutes of its making my husband and I devoured about 20 pedas :)
The taste to some extent also resembles milk khoa or tartipaal of the south. Well here goes the quickest way to make pedas.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk : one small can of 14 oz or 396 gms
- Dry milk powder : 2 cups
- Unsalted butter : one stick around 113 gms
- Elaichi powder: 1 tsp optional
- Almonds and pistachios: optional
- For making this, it is preferrable to use a glass microwave bowl with a little depth.This is because the mixture will keep bubbling and a little depth will prevent it from spilling out
- Heat the stick of butter in the microwave safe bowl till it melts
- Now remove from the microwave and all the condensed milk and milk powder and elaichi powder if present .Stir well to mix it up.
- Now keep the bowl in the microwave and heat for 3 minutes.During these 3 minutes , remove from microwave and stir every minute.
- After 3 minutes place the mixture in the microwave and heat for smaller durations like 30 secs.This is because the mixture will now start bubbling and you will have to switch off the heat and remove and stir it every 30 seconds.
- Do this for about 2-3 minutes.
- The mixture after this would have considerably thickened.
- Now let the mixture cool for 15 mins and then make small peda shaped balls.
- You can add an almond or pistachio in the center of every peda to add to the flavour and appearance.